Admission Application Requirements for International Students
JKU desires to offer the benefits of a Christ-centered education to students from different countries around the world and invites international students to apply for admission. In order to help you through this process, we have outlined international student admissions procedures and requirements specific to international applicants. We look forward to getting to know you and serving you throughout the admission and enrollment process!
As an international student you will be required to go through a two-step process to be enrolled at JKU.
During the first step, you will demonstrate your academic ability to study at JKU by receiving acceptance from JKU’s Admissions Office. To apply for acceptance you will need to complete the JKU Application (see Steps to Apply). Before starting an application, please review the minimum entry standards for JKU College of Undergraduate Studies.
- 2.8 High School GPA or 2.8 college GPA (if you have taken at least 15 college credits)
- A strong spiritual recommendation; and
- Admission essay responses
If you receive acceptance from JKU’s Admissions Office, you can then move to the second step of the enrollment process. This requires you to receive clearance from JKU’s International Student Services Coordinator (ISSC) before studying at the University. In order to receive clearance from JKU’s ISSC, you will need to complete the following.
- Receive acceptance from JKU’s Admissions Office
- Request and receive a University issued I-20
Demonstrate the financial ability to pay for one year of college and college related expenses
Please note, the priority application deadline for financial aid and scholarship consideration is April 1st for the fall semester and October 21st for the spring semester. Additionally, if you have not been accepted by June 17th for the fall semester and November 1st for the spring semester, you will not be eligible for enrollment in the corresponding semester.
How to apply for admission
- Complete your Application for Admission, including essays
- Application processing fee
- Request your Spiritual Recommendation from a Pastor, Youth Pastor, Youth Worker, or Spiritual Mentor. This form should be completed by someone outside your family who can speak to your Christian testimony and growth. After starting your application for admissions, click on the START link under Recommendation Requests. This will send the online recommendation form to your recommender.
- Request official transcripts from your high school and/or any colleges you have attended. Contact one of the Evaluators of Foreign Education for evaluation of your transcripts. If you are currently enrolled in classes, please request that a final transcript be mailed upon graduation or completion of coursework.
- Submit your Official test scores.
- Submit your Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score if your primary language is not English.
- The Office of Admission reserves the right to request additional information as deemed necessary to make a selection decision. JKU will make an admission decision when all application materials are received, and we’ll contact you within two weeks of your application submission to let you know our decision.
- For more information on financial aid for international students and searching for scholarships, visit the financial aid website. International students may be eligible for institutional financial aid and awards, but are not eligible for federal financial aid.
Send all transcripts, recommendations, test scores, and other correspondence to:
Juliana King University
Office of Admission
9896 Bissonnet Street. Suite 118
Houston, TX 77036
Steps to Enrollment
Student Visa Requirements
Obtaining your F-1 Visa
Please follow the listed steps and download the International Student Immegration Guide (PDF).
- After receiving acceptance to JKU, you will need to complete the I-20 Request form (PDF) and submit it to the ISSC in the Life Directions Center. The I-20 Request must be initiated within 7 days of your acceptance. Once the request is initiated you will have 28 days to complete the process. If the I-20 request is not completed in 28 days, the status of the request will be terminated, and you will not eligible for enrollment at JKU.
- As part of the I-20 Request you will need to demonstrate the ability to pay for one year of college and college expenses. In order to demonstrate your financial preparedness to attend JKU, a Verification of Funds form (PDF) will need to be completed and submitted to the ISSC. You will be required to submit a notarized bank statement showing adequate funds, and further guarantee the proposed funds are dedicated the financial costs of attending JKU.
- When all of your paperwork (admission application/documents, I-20 request, and verification of funds) has been submitted to the ISSC, it will be reviewed and the ISSC will determine if you are eligible to receive an I-20 from JKU
- If granted an I-20, you will then be responsible for paying the SEVIS I-901 fee on the U.S. Immigration website. The government requires this fee (and a copy of the receipt) in order for the student to legally cross the border into the U.S. for study purposes.
- Set up an appointment with the U.S. Embassy in your country for your F-1 VISA interview. Please note, receiving an I-20 from CCU does not guarantee that the U.S. Embassy will grant you an F-1 VISA. Receiving an F-1 VISA is required to study at JKU.
- After receiving an F-1 Visa, contact the ISSC in the Life Directions Center. You will then start the enrollment process for classes.
Your first step in applying to JKU is to Create an Account. The information from this secure account will automatically be entered on your online application, simplifying the process to complete the application.
Application in progress
If you previously started an admission application, Log In to your Account to access your saved application and continue or restart the online admission process.
Former students and applicants
If you previously applied for admission to JKU or were enrolled in classes, please contact the Admission Office at 713-255-9000 to discuss the readmission process.
Finished with your online application?
Submitted all your required documents? Learn what happens after you apply!